About TOTP two-factor authentication
For apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, and other TOTP-based authenticator applications. Requires ProcessWire 3.0.109+.
Modules dealing with logins, passwords, 2-factor authentication, etc.
|Category 2||Users and Access|
Modules dealing with access in ProcessWire via Users, Roles or Permissions.
|Category 3||Tfa Modules|
Tfa modules extend the core Tfa class and each implements a specific kind of two factor authentication.
Close to stable, but users are advised to be cautious and test thoroughly.*
|Date Added||August 10, 2018|
|Last Updated||June 26, 2020|
This module's files should be placed in /site/modules/TfaTotp/
How to install or uninstall modules
TOTP means Time-based One-Time Password algorithm, which is a standard used by many 2FA authenticator apps such as the following (all available on both Android and iOS):
- Google Authenticator
- Authy Authenticator by Twilio
- Microsoft Authenticator
- LastPass Authenticator
- And several others…
- ProcessWire 3.0.109 or newer.
- PHP 5.6 or newer.
- For users wanting to enable 2FA, it requires that they have a TOTP authenticator app installed, typically on a mobile phone.
- Place the files for this module in
- In the admin, go to Modules > Refresh.
- Go to Modules > Site > Tfa, and click “Install” for this module.
- Edit your user profile in the ProcessWire admin.
- Scroll to the bottom and you should see a new field for “Two factor authentication”.
- Select the “TOTP” option and click Submit (note: it’ll ask for your password first).
- After submitting the change, go back to the field and it will want you to open your authenticator application to scan the QR code it provides.
- After scanning the QR code, your authenticator app will provide a 6 digit code for you to enter in ProcessWire. This is just to confirm that everything is working. After doing this, click submit, and you are done.
Once two-factor authentication is enabled, when you login, there will be a second step where it will ask you to enter a code. You can get this code by opening your chosen authenticator app.
- Admin Helpers
- Core Modules
- Development Tools
- Field Types
- Input Fields
- Language Modules
- Language Packs
- Markup Generation
- Premium Modules
- Process Modules
- Proof of Concept
- Site Profiles
- Social, Feeds, Services
- Text Formatters
- Other Modules
- Users and Access
*Use modules at your own risk. There are no guarantees or warranties. It is recommended that you backup your site and database before installing new modules.